Monday, April 13, 2009

It's sixteen miles to the promise land

And I promise you I'm doing the best I can.


Last night I ate an avocado.  And boy was it scrumptious, my dears!  I just attacked it with a spoon like I was eating a grapefruit =P

So, I've been feeling a little blah lately.  I don't know if it's been the flip-flopping of the weather since it can't make up it's mind or what, but I have just felt like complete shit.  My head feels twice its size and I feel just gross.

PLUS I'm a bit bummed because my paintings I submitted (see a few posts below) did not get "accepted" to the exhibit I applied for.  I got a nice generic email from the grad students who were "judging" the entries which said "We regret to inform you... blah blah blah... the amount of entries exceeded our expectations and we couldn't accept everyone... blah blah."  In other words "Emily you shouldn't have submitted unfinished work and now you're fucked."

But I did drop into the Starbucks by my parents' house and asked them straight up if they are accepting any new artwork to be displayed and they are!  So hopefully this will work out =)


In other art-related news I'm currently making a fashion illustration based on this photo.  I wanted to do something with the Balenciaga dress, and I loved this photo.  Right now it's just working and re-working in my sketchbook, and I can't decide if I want to complete the final illustration in b&w or color.

So anyway, since my blog has felt uninspired lately (I do apologize for the lack of posts) I decided to blog about another blogger who has plenty of inspiration.  Frankie at Swell Vintage is one of my favorite bloggers who constructs the most amazing pieces of jewelry out of vintage materials.


For instance her necklaces made from antique drawer-pulls?  Genius, I say.  Genius!



I urge you guys to check out her blog, and her Etsy shop.  I told her the only reason why I have yet to purchase one of her pieces is the simple fact that I'm broke =/  But I have a job interview on Saturday with American Eagle of all places, but a job is a job!  They've gotten better clothes in recent seasons anyway...

Lyrics: Rilo Kiley

12 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, i need these jewels!!! How amazing are they?!!!
    Avacados are gorgeous, i love eating them by themselves, but it's nice with a little lemon juice in the middle and pepper... and mixed herbs.
    Megs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 sure we will trade links emily. thx for stopping by.
    xoxo
    mina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the coffee-shop display!!!
    I usually eat my plain avocados with lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and some freshly ground pepper. Or grill each avocado half, and then but the salt, pepper, lemon - that works well at barbecues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, you are just so bloody adorable that I could kiss your lovely, lovely face! Thank you ever so much for the very kind words. I am truly honoured.

    Also, I was going to say if you really do want one of my pieces, email me at frankie@swell-vintage.com and I'm sure we could cut a deal!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAH love avocado :)
    with garlic and shrimps. YAM !

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am sorry to hear about your paintings! you have to be mad proud of trying though. i mean, most people are too scared to try because they are afraid to fail. you have done what most others could never do and that is amazing. just remember that great risk means great reward and you hardly ever get what you don't ask for so keep taking chances and keep asking and pretty soon youwill be the next Basquiat! Except not black. and you're a chick. and andy warhol is dead so you'll have to find a new mentor. but other than that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Emily! Work it out! Keep on painting and drawing. You got some talent, girl!
    That jewelry....ugh! So cute!!!
    I havnt had avocado in YEARS. It's yummy with salt...but i cant eat it like that anymore cause its not good for my heart. lol.
    Anyways, Good Luck!!
    X♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the comment on my blog :)
    i love doing fashion illustrations too, you should post the one of the balenciaga dress!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Astonishing jewelry! Wow. I love that balenciaga dress. We did a sketch of it in class.

    fashion on edge..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh please post your illustrations of that Balenciaga image, I am in love with it so much.
    It would be great to see what the finished piece will be xox

    ReplyDelete